Monday, July 5, 2010

On Meeting Your Heroes

"You should never meet your heroes."

Now, maybe the person who coined that phrase had a just reason to say so. but in my case, it's all total bull. I've already met Anthony Rapp (several times) and found him to be a thoughtful, sweet, doll of a man.
Well today I had another dream come true. I met Wil Wheaton. Wil Wheaton was my first love (along with Jonathan Taylor Thomas) and for me to meet him, to look at him in the pale, scrawny flesh and manage to make sentences happen was amazing. I told him I was an actor and writer and that he was an inspiration to me. I neglected to mention he's been my hero for...well, ever (I sent him a twitter message to correct this oversight). He seemed genuinely interested in knowing what I write and encouraged me to keep at it. I got a picture *points down* with him and I could barely breathe. My hand is still slightly shaky.

That's the kind of actor I want to be. Someone who can walk down the street anonymously (as he did, heading to the MAX line), but can still find that loyal band of fans who think you're the bees knees. I don't want to make millions every film or be on the cover of fashion magazines; I want to be a guest at cons I'd want to go to anyway and work with these amazing people I already so love and admire. Like Wil Wheaton. He's my hero, simple as that. And meeting him? Was totally awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment