Saturday, February 26, 2011

Screwing the Fourth Wall...Right in the Face

Last night on Supernatural was one of the funniest episodes I think I've seen of any TV show ever (and I watched Sports Night).

After a few months feeling down in the dumps for various reasons, I spent most of that hour laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. It reinvigorated me, if only to make sure that one day I find a way to be a part of this amazing show. Seriously, kill me off in the first three minutes of the episode, just let my name run on the credits of this kickass show. Let me spend a few days working with this crew and cast who seem like a welcoming family. (give me an opportunity to discern just what freaking colour the boys' eyes are!)

Watching Jared and Jensen play Sam and Dean trying to play Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles playing Sam and Dean was just the best moment ever. These gorgeous guys who kick ass are really just big dorks who can self-deprecate with the best of us. Sometimes I think they're so damn good (leaps and fucking bounds since they started) as actors that I forget they're actors at all. Until the gag reels. Or moments like "Eye of the Tiger". I aspire to that. I want to be that kind of an actor, who consistently turns out good, noteworthy work and yet can still make funny faces to get people laughing when the shoot is running too long and we're all exhausted. Or do a silly dance when I forget my lines to kick out my nervous energy. And when I do remember my lines to put the kind of power behind them that Jensen and Jared do. Have that small group of fans who love me off-camera as well.

I think that's one of the reasons this little show has gone on to six and *fingers crossed* seven seasons. It listens to its fans and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It mocks its stars and its creator and producers and everybody in the TV industry. It finds realistic (in a Supernatural world, of course) ways to demolish the fourth wall in one episode and build it back up by the next one. If you agree with me, take a minute and send the cast and crew a postcard telling them how much we love their work.

Details on spn_postcards here: http://community.livejournal.com/spn_postcards/

No comments:

Post a Comment